Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is a diuretic, a medication that causes the kidneys to increase their production of urine. It is used to treat high blood pressure by reducing the amount of fluid in the blood vessels, and to treat edema, or puffiness caused by water retention. Some causes of edema are certain types of medications, congestive heart failure, kidney disease or damage, pregnancy, and liver disease.
Dose–hydrochlorothiazide can be taken as tablets or capsules.
- For edema tablets are taken in a dose of 25 to 100 mg once or in a divided dose, daily or every other day.
- For high blood pressure
- tablets are taken in a dose of 25 mg every day and may be increased as needed
- capsules are taken in a dosage of 12.5 mg once daily, which may be increased to as high as 50 mg
Common side effects:
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Dizziness (especially when suddenly standing up)
- Erectile dysfunction
- Tingling in hands, legs, feet
Cost of hydrochlorothiazide
The cost of hydrochlorothiazide ranges between $1.91 and $9.45 for 30 tablets, strength 25 mg. Click here to find the cheapest pharmacy near you.
How to Get a Hydrochlorothiazide Prescription
Hydrochlorothiazide is a prescription drug that needs to be prescribed by a licensed prescriber or physician. Did you know? QuickMD can treat your high blood pressure remotely through telemedicine and prescribe hydrochlorothiazide online.