Sumatriptan belongs to a class of drugs called selective serotonin receptor agonists. It is prescribed to treat migraine headaches and other symptoms associated with migraine attacks and should be taken immediately when the attack begins for best results. It works by constricting blood vessels that become enlarged during migraine attacks, and by its anti-inflammatory activities.
Dosage–Imitrex may be taken in tablet form, injected, or as nasal spray.
- Tablets 25, 50, or 100 mg as a single dose, to be repeated in 2 hours if symptoms are not alleviated, not to exceed 200 mg per day.
- Injection 6 mg subcutaneous, may repeat after 1 hour.
- Nasal spray is taken as 5 mg (1 spray into 1 nostril), 10 mg (1 spray into each nostril), or 20 mg (2 sprays into each nostril).
Common side effects
- Sensation of pins and needles
- Sensation of warmth
- Stinging sensation
- Sensation of spinning
- Nasal irritation
- Redness or irritation at site of injection
- Redness of face and neck
- Nausea and vomiting
Cost of Sumatriptan
The price of sumatriptan ranges between $100.75 and 285.26 for a nasal aerosol spray bottle. Click here to find the cheapest pharmacy near you.
Where to Get Sumatriptan?
Sumatriptan (Imitrex) is a prescription drug that needs to be prescribed by a licensed prescriber or physician. Did you know? QuickMD can treat your migraine attacks remotely through telemedicine and prescribe Imitrex online. No insurance is needed.