When seizures have known causes such as diabetes, high fever, abnormal blood levels of sodium, or infection, the cure is to correct the underlying condition. When seizures occur more than once for causes that cannot be diagnosed, patients are said to have seizure disorders, or epilepsy, and seizure disorders are usually treated with seizure medications. For reasons not fully understood, electrical impulses in the brain become abnormal, causing signs and symptoms such as loss of consciousness, abnormal movements, deja-vu experiences, fear, and apparent flashing lights.
When seizure disorder is diagnosed, physicians usually prescribe antiseizure medications. Staying on a strict medication schedule is important to avoid further seizures. Even missing just one dose can trigger a seizure. Patients usually remain on these medications for 2 to 4 years, then sometimes tapering off may be considered by the neurologist if the patient remained seizure-free during that time.
List of Medications
- Barbiturates work by slowing down certain areas of the brain.
- Mysoline (primidone)–taken orally at night, 100 mg to start, may go as high as 2 grams.
- Solfoton (phenobarbital)–taken by mouth, 30 to 120 mg per day
- Anticonvulsants/antiepileptic medications affect the brain cells, preventing abnormal electrical impulses in the brain that can cause seizures.
- Tegretol, Carbatrol (carbamazepine)–taken by mouth, 200mg per day initially
- Dilantin, Phenytek (phenytoin)–taken by mouth, 100 mg 3 times a day
- Topamax (topiramate)–taken orally 200 mg twice a day
- Zonegran (zonisamide)–taken by mouth 100 to 400 mg a day
- Depakote, Depakene (valproic acid)–10 to 60 mg/kg/day orally
- Oxtellar, Trileptal (oxcarbazepine)–300 to 1200 mg twice daily by mouth
- Lamictal (lamotrigine)–taken orally, 50 to 600 mg daily
- Neurontin (gabapentin)– taken by mouth, 300 to 600 mg per day
Did you know? QuickMD can treat seizures from the comfort and convenience of your home. Our doctors can prescribe anti-seizure medications online via telemedicine, whenever safe to do so.